When you want to draw, is it best to doodle using references of whatever you want to draw, or is it best to doodle from the mind (as in, using the imagination)? I was also wondering whether you make custom brushes in Photoshop and if it matters whether if it’s best to doodle using paper and pencil or doodling digitally. Is one way better than the other or are they both equally effective? Thanks in advance!
For the first answer it depends, if you have a clear idea in your head and you have built up a strong visual library to draw it then go for it and just draw whatever it is.What reference is just a way for you to help get your idea out, drawing from the imagination without reference just takes time and thats where having a solid visual library is good.For your second question I use the default brushes but with a few tweaks, I have the flow jitter set to pen pressure and I another default brush that I set with flow and opacity jitter set to pen pressure, the big thing with photoshop brushes is find what ever settings work for you my settings may not be the best for you, but that what I use. Now for your third question, it is personal preference, if you are more comfortable starting a drawing with pencil and paper or another non digital medium and scanning into photoshop or whatever digital painting software go for it, if your more comfortable just starting in a digital painting package go for it.
This is a cool way to show how to go about creating or doodling images digitally. I'm not an artist but I've heard that if you're not good at drawing with pencil and paper there may still be hope for drawing digitally, do you think that is true? Also, it was actually interesting to watch what changes you made to your doodle in terms of shading and I was surprised that you actually added to the image by creating a body. Overall, it looks really cool!
When you want to draw, is it best to doodle using references of whatever you want to draw, or is it best to doodle from the mind (as in, using the imagination)? I was also wondering whether you make custom brushes in Photoshop and if it matters whether if it’s best to doodle using paper and pencil or doodling digitally. Is one way better than the other or are they both equally effective? Thanks in advance!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFor the first answer it depends, if you have a clear idea in your head and you have built up a strong visual library to draw it then go for it and just draw whatever it is.What reference is just a way for you to help get your idea out, drawing from the imagination without reference just takes time and thats where having a solid visual library is good.For your second question I use the default brushes but with a few tweaks, I have the flow jitter set to pen pressure and I another default brush that I set with flow and opacity jitter set to pen pressure, the big thing with photoshop brushes is find what ever settings work for you my settings may not be the best for you, but that what I use. Now for your third question, it is personal preference, if you are more comfortable starting a drawing with pencil and paper or another non digital medium and scanning into photoshop or whatever digital painting software go for it, if your more comfortable just starting in a digital painting package go for it.
ReplyDeletehope this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM
This is a cool way to show how to go about creating or doodling images digitally. I'm not an artist but I've heard that if you're not good at drawing with pencil and paper there may still be hope for drawing digitally, do you think that is true?
ReplyDeleteAlso, it was actually interesting to watch what changes you made to your doodle in terms of shading and I was surprised that you actually added to the image by creating a body. Overall, it looks really cool!